Monday, April 28, 2014

Reading Along Side Students

A colleague and mentor of mine recommended tonight's post.  I am grateful for her support and suggestions along the way as I grow as a teacher in many ways, but particularly language arts this year.  
A few weeks ago I mentioned my desire to focus on modeling more intentionally and frequently for my students.  The last few weeks, I have done this in many ways, but particularly in the world of at home reading.  Some students are not fortunate to have family members modeling adult reading for them.  I decided that I could do this through keeping a reading log posted in the front of my classroom each night.  I come in every morning and record the previous night's reading for my kiddos to "see" my reading life outside of the school walls.  

After a week of doing this, my students started making comments about how they could beat my reading minutes in a week.  I took them up on the challenge.  If they beat my minutes come Monday morning, they would get a little extra treat (homework pass, classroom money, candy, pick from the prize bin, popcorn pass, etc.).  The first week, I had one student beat my minutes.  The second week...

I had 5!  Not to mention that these five students went above and beyond racking up 1800, 3130, 1970, 910, 480 minutes!  Many students in my class today said that they were setting a goal to beat my minutes for next week.  I can't wait to see them all achive that goal!
My excitement around this extends beyond just the number of minutes being read by my students, but the conversations they are having around the many books they are reading.  They are sharing about their books more because they are reading books more!  One of my reading groups hijacked my plans and had a book talk about what they were all reading independently.  I enjoyed this reading group last week where I could set my plans aside, and observe the support, encouragement, and excitement they were providing one another.  I even have one kiddo that is on me to finish my current read ("A Snicker of Magic"  by Natalie Lloyd) because she can't wait to read it herself.  They are pushing one another in their own reading as well as pushing me to get books completed faster!  

No comments:

Post a Comment