Monday, April 21, 2014

Book Auctions/Introductions

The value and excitement that a new book brings to a classroom is incredibly addictive!  Today, I introduced about six or seven new books that I recently purchased for our classroom library.  You would have thought that it was Christmas morning in our room... again.  It was even all the chat on our class Twitter account today, winning our official class post for the day.


All this excitement makes me so excited to share the new books I bought today from our school book fair with them (I planned on 4 books, walked away with about 10 instead).

The thing that my kids enjoy about days when we have new books for the library, is that we "auction" them off for students to be the first to read them.  After I introduce all of the books to the class.  I ask who is interested in a particular book.  If more than one student can't wait to read the book, we "auction" it off by picking a number between 1-10.  If there majority of the class can't wait, we go to the sticks and the first person drawn who wants to read the book, gets it!  They LOVE this and can't wait for their peers to finish the new books if they are waiting.  

It warms my heart to see their excitement about new books in our classroom.  They can't wait to hear about the new books when they see a pile on my desk!  

All evening I have been thinking about how to rejuvenate some of this same excitement for current books in our classroom library.  After all, I can't purchase new books every week (even though I so desperately want too)!  I am thinking that I will have a time of book reviews next year, either each week or every other week.  This would be a time when I can share a few books from our library with students (and some weeks this would be a pile of new books).  I am thinking that I can even have my students share books they have been reading from our classroom library as the year progresses.  Not a novel idea, but certainly the next routine and adventure I am looking forward to starting and tackling the remainder of this year and next year!

How do you go about introducing new books and old friends to your students during the school year?

1 comment:

  1. I love the auction idea & use an adapted version for "hot" books in the library as well. If you bring in a review of another book in the series, you might get it or the students figure out who can read the fastest and so get the book to the greatest number of people in the shortest amount of time. Allegiant and Fangirl were two books that brought on this enthusiasm this year.

    In my language class, we have #trailertues and I share book trailers & do a quick book talk on much loved books & new books & twice a year I have implemented a Best Books project from Corbett Harrison's fabulous site. http://corbettharrison.com/Reading_Workshop.html

    Anything to build excitement! They love Trailer Tuesdays!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete